The previous month is:
The next month is:
1 June 2005
I have been asked by one of Merrystar’s coworkers to use real units when describing my son.
What’s a real unit, you may ask?
Of course, under the old Julian calendar, Trip’s birthday is April 22, 2005, which means that he was actually early, instead of being late, but then his nickname would make less sense.
Have I mentioned that I love astronomer humor? It’s probably a good thing that I married one.
Not for the faint at heart: Mozilla Deer Park Alpha 1.
Baby Status: Grey-blue eyes, for now. Sleeping, but not for long.
Mom Status: Green-grey eyes, for now. Sleeping through the next feeding.
Dad Status: Brown eyes, no change expected. Decidedly not sleeping.
New Flotsam: victory!, wherein I teach Trip his first four-letter word.
4 June 2005
Alternate styles are reenabled for this site. (I was feeling nostalgic for the Enterprise theme.)
6 June 2005
Updated: my car mileage spreadsheet, wherein I discover that after spending $3,250.71 on 1838.4 gallons of fuel, I’ve achieved an average MPG of 24.82.
Have I mentioned recently how much I love data?
10 June 2005
Though I don’t talk about it much in this log, I’ve been really happy with Cornerhost. Michal’s service has been fantastic, and that’s made all the difference in the world. There are plenty of companies who could learn from his example.
Anyhow, the deal is $400 for lifetime hosting. Check it out.
11 June 2005
13 June 2005
Fedora Core 4 is out, in the usual places.
I started downloading it before I stopped and asked aloud, whatsa meesa thinking?
So, I killed wget and am now going to bed, saved by my weblog.
20 June 2005
21 June 2005
Previously, I did this:
- Move pictures from camera;
- Create “date-name” directories for each session: e.g., if I shot a show that had three bands on June 1, the directories would be 2005-06-01-foo, 2005-06-01-bar, and 2005-06-01-baz.
- Put all the photos of each subject in a RAW/ subdirectory (e.g., 2005-06-01-foo/RAW/). Never touch those.
- Copy */RAW to */EDIT. In the EDIT subdirectory, delete the junk, and color correct and crop the rest.
- When publishing to the web, copy some subset of EDIT, and resize and post the copy.
I don’t think I can easily do this with iPhoto. iPhoto seems to want to obscure the actual location of the files on disk from me: it wants me to access my photos only through the iPhoto UI, using its notion of galleries. It always stores files on disk in its world in directories like YYYY/MM/DD/, which is close to my layout, but I want my “keywords” in the directory names as well, not solely in some undocumented metadata file off to the side somewhere.
25 June 2005
Introducing: brett’s daily photo.
Every day, this page displays a new picture from my life. Frequent subjects are: my son, Trip; my wife, Merrystar; my son, Trip; the occasional landscape; and my son, Trip. Had I pets, you better believe I’d take pictures of them, too. (With Trip.)
I hope you enjoy it.
(RSS and Atom feeds available on the last updated page, too.)
Today is a day of firsts.
- First time Trip went 9 hours between feedings
- First time Trip slept for more than 8 hours
- First time the whole family laughed together (prompted by Merrystar putting a pretzel rod in her mouth, of all things)
- First time Trip sat up (from a partially reclined position)